Can anyone attend an RTA board meeting or board committee meeting?

Yes. All regular meetings of the Board of Trustees and committee meetings are open to the public. RTA has developed policy regarding public participation.

What does RTA do to provide amenities in its service area communities?

Each year, RTA uses a portion of its Federal transit funds for community transit stop enhancements, which is allowed by the Federal Transit Administration. RTA invites municipalities to apply for funding of projects to improve transit stops in their community. The partnership helps RTA because each participating municipality funds a 20% local match and commits to ongoing maintenance of improvements made in their community.  These projects improve the community infrastructure while enhancing the use of public transportation to and from surrounding areas.

Where do RTA riders go on the bus?

Sixty-two percent of RTA riders go to or from work; 15% ride to shop or attend social gatherings; 13% ride to schools, colleges, or universities. The remaining 10% of our riders make trips to other destinations.

Who is responsible for governing the RTA?

RTA is a public agency under Ohio law governed by nine trustees. Board members are appointed by Montgomery County, Dayton and Kettering.

Bus Service

Does RTA go to the Dayton Airport?

Yes. RTA has service to Dayton International Airport on Route 43 three times daily.

What bus goes out to The Greene Shopping Center?

Routes 11 and 12.

Where can I park and ride RTA?

There are 33 park and ride lots so people who do not live close to a bus stop may park their car in a lighted, maintained lot and ride the bus to work or another destination. Click here for more information.

Are bicycles allowed on buses?

Every RTA bus has easy-to-use bike racks available all year round. Bicycles are welcome at no additional charge. Click here for more information.

How do I get service in my area?

RTA’s planning team assesses our service areas throughout the year. If you want RTA to provide scheduled service to an area that does not receive service, you have several options to send us your requests: Comments and Concerns Feedback allows you to provide detailed information on your service suggestion request; send an email to [email protected]; or call the RTA Planning Department at 937-425-8331.

Why doesn't RTA provide door to door service at the Dayton Mall?

Dayton Mall is private property and has not given approval to RTA to provide service to the door of the mall because of the size of our fixed route buses. RTA has offered Capital Improvement funds for access improvements including benches and shelters. Dayton Mall officials have not approved our request to date.

Does RTA provide service to Beavercreek?

Yes. Route 1 has stops at WSU and along Pentagon Rd, a major area which has shopping, education and health access.

Bus Stops

I have been using the same bus stop for a long time and it has been removed. Why?

RTA’s planning team assesses our service areas throughout the year. A stop may be removed or relocated because it may be to close to an existing stop; there may be resident complaints regarding a stop; or a stop may be relocated to better serve a business or facility nearby. RTA works to meet the needs of our customers and residents in our service areas. If the removal of a bus stop provides hardship to you or difficulty in accessing our service, Comments and Concerns Feedback will allow you to provide detailed information on your service suggestion request. Or you can call 937-425-8350.

Customer Service

What are the hours of the RTA Customer Service Line?

  1. Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
  2. Saturday and Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

What happens to lost and found items?

Lost and found items collected during a scheduled route are held in an RTA storage area for a scheduled period of time based on the item lost (a maximum of 12 days). To check if your item was recovered, please call 937-425-8300, option 4.

What is the number to the RTA Customer Service Line?

RTA Customer Service Line: 937-425-8300.

How do I contact RTA departments?

Here is the list of key contacts and phone numbers:

  1. Fixed route information (937) 425-8300
  2. Lost & Found (937) 425-8300
  3. Paratransit reservations & scheduling (937) 425-8300
  4. Paratransit certification center (937) 425-8444
  5. Comments & Concerns Feedback (937) 425-8300

Is there any way a new rider or someone with an impairment can learn to ride RTA?

RTA mobility travel trainers regularly work with groups or individuals to reduce the stress of learning to ride the bus. If you are new to the community or have a physical or mental disability, call 937-425-8444 for more information.

How do I complain or comment on something that happened to me on an RTA bus or at an RTA facility?

Here is your opportunity to praise us or speak us. If you need to complain or comment, this is your link: Comments & Concerns Feedback (937) 425-8300.

How do I send you a complaint about service I have received?

Comments and Concerns Feedback will allow you to provide detailed information to our customer support team. Also, you may call our Customer Service Line at 937-425-8300 and press 6 during customer service hours.

How can riders have a say in the way things are done at RTA?

By becoming a member of the Customer Advocacy Group (CAG). The agency encourages applications from any transit customer or organization interested in becoming a member of CAG. If you are interested, please complete our online application or call 937-425-8374. Membership is on a volunteer basis (without pay).

Fares and Passes

Do you accept credit/debit cards for pass purchases?

It depends on the location that you visit to purchase your pass. Some accept credit/debit cards while others accept only cash. It is best to call the RTA Fare Media Outlet of your choice and ask what method of payment the retailer will accept.

How do I get an RTA bus pass?

RTA bus passes can be purchased at retail outlets throughout Montgomery County. To find a location near you, please visit Fares and Passes or call 937-425-8300.

I would like to know what form and/or process an individual with a disability would need to complete in order to get a reduced rate bus pass.

You must complete a paratransit application and get certification through the RTA Certification Center. For details and to apply, call the center at 937-425-8444.

I am certified to ride Paratransit. Can I ride fixed route free?

Yes. Please be prepared to show the operator your valid paratransit ID when you board.

Can I purchase any pass at the Transit Vending Machines (TVM) located in the transit centers?

Yes. You can purchase: 31 Day; 7 Day; Day; Reduced Fare Day; Senior; and Disabled passes at any TVM.

Safety Concerns

There are a lot of students on my bus who are loud. What do I do?

Please notify your driver if a student or any passenger is loud or unruly. Our drivers are trained to handle safety and security issues. RTA has a Student Disciplinary procedure that our employees follow. You may also send a formal complaint to our customer support team by visiting i-riderta.org and clicking Customer Support or call customer support at 937-425-8300 and press 6.

How can I get a copy of the Facilities Code of Conduct?

Download a pdf version of Facilities Code of Conduct.

How can I get a copy of the Rule of the Road?

Download a PDF version of Rules of the Road.

Seniors & Persons with Disabilities

How do I check on my recertification application?

You can call the Certification Center at 937-425-8444.

I am certified to receive Paratransit services. Can I ride fixed route free?

Yes. Please be prepared to show the operator your valid paratransit ID when you board.

It is true that I can ride free on the big bus if I am a certified Paratransit customer?

Yes. Paratransit is the most expensive transit service we provide at RTA. In an effort to save money for our customers and the agency, RTA offers free service to certified Paratransit customers to encourage using the fixed route bus service.

Can I ride a big bus if I’m in a wheelchair?

Absolutely. Every RTA fixed route bus accommodates at least two wheelchairs. Each bus accommodates at least two spaces designed for customers who use a mobility device.  Each bus either has a lift or is equipped with ramp for access to the bus. RTA Bus Operators are trained to safely and securely strap in your mobility device before moving on.

Can I take my dog on the bus?

Animals that are not service animals may ride on RTA if they are properly contained during the trip. Pet Carriers must be the same type used in commercial transport.

Are there any routes designed to help senior citizens in the Dayton area?

The RTA has three bus routes designed to fit the special needs of seniors. Senior EZ Ride service provides a simple, recognizable and safe transportation link to many of the destinations seniors prefer, including senior citizens centers, neighborhoods, grocery stores, shopping centers, hospitals, and pharmacies.

Senior EZ Ride Route 65 runs Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. throughout the Northwest Corridor of Montgomery County.

Senior EZ Ride Route 64 runs on Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. throughout the Southwest corridor of Montgomery County.

Senior EZ Ride Route 66 runs Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. throughout the Southeast Corridor of Montgomery County.

I am a senior with special needs. How do I become certified to receive door-to-door service?

RTA offers Paratransit service, a curb-to-curb transit service, to certified individuals with disabilities who are functionally unable to use regular fixed routes. To become certified, you must complete an application and schedule and appointment at the RTA Certification Center. If you are approved you will be certified for the service. To get started, please visit i-riderta.org to complete an online application. Or you may call 937-425-8444 to have application mailed to you.

Schedules, Maps and Alerts

Where can I get a schedule for my bus?

Schedules can be picked up at any RTA Transit Center and at more than 80 locations, including hospitals, social service agencies and employment centers around Montgomery County. You may visit Schedules to view or download a printable schedule. Also download the Transit or Moovit apps for realtime bus information for free on your smart phone.

How do I read a schedule?

  1. Determine the direction of your trip and the day you will travel. The schedules are separated into Weekday, Saturday and Sunday service.
  2. Find the major stop listing closest to where you will catch the bus. There is not room on a schedule to list all bus stops, so locate the closest corresponding stop location for the beginning of your trip.
  3. Read down the list of times under this stop to see what time the bus will arrive at your stop. You will need to estimate the time if your stop is in between the listed times or use the previous major stop time.
  4. Simply read across the page to the bus stop listing closest to where you want to go. The time listed will tell you approximately what time the bus will arrive and what time you will arrive at your destination.
  5. The letters in circles under the major stop listings are also noted on the map so you can easily find the location.
  6. A dash line indicates the bus does not serve the location.
  7. If you are traveling from Wright Stop Plaza, note the Bay Assignment for the bus you will be traveling on and proceed to the correct bay to wait for your bus. If two bays are listed, look for the bus in either bay.
  8. Read any footnotes marked on your trip time at the bottom of the times in each direction for more detailed information.
  9. Be early! Arrive at your bus stop at least five minutes before your departure time.


How big is RTA’s operating budget this year?

RTA’s 2018 operating budget is $66 million and is based upon keeping service, fares and costs at current levels.

Are there any other types of programs used by RTA to raise revenue?

RTA has an innovative agreement with a vendor to sell on-bus audio advertising that generates revenue for the authority. Using the GPS system on buses, pre-recorded audio advertisements play at strategic locations along our bus routes. RTA customers may hear ads ranging from upcoming sales at a particular store to new products available at a store they’ve just passed.

How is RTA funded?

RTA receives funding from several sources: Montgomery County sales tax; Fares; the State of Ohio; the federal government.

Doesn’t my fare pay for the services RTA provides?

Your fare pays about 14% of the total amount needed to operate the agency. The Montgomery County Sales tax funds more than 50%; State of Ohio funds less than 1%; and the federal government provides dollars which includes capital monies and grants, comprising the remaining dollars needed.

Careers with RTA

How do I apply for a job posting?

You may apply for a posted job by visiting Careers or stopping by 600 Longworth Street, Dayton and completing an online application on the Kiosk.

I don't have a computer at home. Where can I apply for jobs at RTA?

You can apply for a job with RTA by going to 600 Longworth Avenue between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

I can get on the internet, but I don't have an e-mail address. Why do I need one?

You need an email address when applying for a job posting at i-riderta.org. An e-mail address serves as another way of contacting you. At times, Recruiting may use your e-mail address to contact candidates.

Who can I contact with problems when I am applying?

You can contact Human Resources at 425-8400 or e-mail [email protected].

How do I view what jobs are available for me?

Careers list current jobs open at RTA. You can stop by 600 Longworth Street, Dayton or call 937-425-8400 to check available positions.

Doing Business with RTA

How can I do business with RTA if I have a service or product the agency might need?

The Procurement Department makes every effort to seek qualified businesses to purchase goods and/or services. It is RTA’s policy not to discriminate and to encourage disadvantaged business enterprise participation, whenever possible. A list of firms who have expressed interest in selling specific items to the RTA is kept on file in the Procurement offices. Bid packages that are directly related to the particular goods and/or services the firms can provide are sent out electronically or mailed to the firms on this list. This list is compiled from:

  1. Previous Bidders
  2. Firms who have requested placement on such a list by mail (preferably), telephone, e-mail, or personal contact
  3. APTA Directory
  4. Thomas Register
  5. RTA’s DBE Directory
  6. Trade and Product shows
  7. Internet Searches

If a firm would like to be placed on a bidder’s list, the interested firm has several options to be placed on a list for consideration: Complete a Vendor Registration form. During a personal interview with an authorized procurement agent of the RTA, a firm may also request placement on such a list. Call 937-425-8313 for more information.

What if my business would like to support an RTA event?

RTA always looks for opportunities to partner with local businesses and organizations. Sponsors are an important foundation for the agency’s educational efforts.

If your business or group is interested in supporting community education about green lifestyles and the importance of transit use, call 937-425-8331.

Does RTA ever supply speakers for meetings at my business or organization?

Yes, RTA’s Speaker’s Bureau is designed to both foster transit use and provide other interesting speakers for local businesses or organizations. Our staff and speakers are real people who have built relationships throughout the region and nationally. The RTA Speaker’s Bureau can provide relevant speakers who have compelling stories to share.

To schedule a speaker, please call 937-425-8370.